What we teach?
MISD Counseling follows the Texas Education Code §29.906 to teach character traits and personal skills. The district is currently evaluating and presenting curriculum for approval to teach the required instruction per Sec. 29.906. After approval the curriculum will be available on each campus for review by families if requested.
Sec. 29.906. CHARACTER TRAITS AND PERSONAL SKILLS INSTRUCTION. (a) The State Board of Education shall integrate positive character traits and personal skills into the essential knowledge and skills adopted for kindergarten through grade 12, as appropriate.
(b) The State Board of Education must include the following positive character traits and personal skills:
(2) trustworthiness, including honesty, reliability, punctuality, and loyalty;
(4) respect and courtesy;
(5) responsibility, including accountability, diligence, perseverance, self-management skills, and self-control;
(6) fairness, including justice and freedom from prejudice;
(7) caring, including kindness, empathy, compassion, consideration, patience, generosity, charity, and interpersonal skills;
(8) good citizenship, including patriotism, concern for the common good and the community, responsible decision-making skills, and respect for authority and the law;
(9) school pride; and