Public Comment is part of the agenda for most MISD Board of Trustees meetings.
The MISD Board of Trustees values citizen participation through public comment. Public Comment is governed by our local district policy BED (Local). If you wish to participate in Public Comment, you must either:
1. Sign up online by 4:00 pm the day of the meeting or
2. Complete and return a comment card to Krista Tipton no later than 10 minutes before the meeting begins and indicate the topic to be addressed.
The following Rules and and Restrictions apply when making Public Comment:
- Maximum of five minutes unless otherwise provided by the presiding officer.
- Speakers may not relinquish their time to another speaker.
- When necessary for effective meeting management or to accommodate large numbers of individuals wishing to address the Board, the presiding officer may make adjustments to public comment procedures, including shortening the time allotted for each speaker.
- Participants who require the assistance of a translator are permitted double the allotted time of participants who do not require the assistance of a translator.
- Out of respect for others and to insure proper decorum, please do not reference specific individuals during the presentation, especially students; parents may reference their own child.
Members of the public cannot participate in the board meeting other than during the public comment time. Any citizen disrupting the board meeting, by word or action, who does not heed warnings to stop, will be asked to leave. If necessary, the citizen(s) will be removed by law enforcement officials.
Public Comment at special meetings shall be restricted only to comments on items listed on the meeting agenda. This will be strictly enforced.
FORMAL COMPLAINT POLICY
The District has a formal complaint policy that may be utilized to complain about a specific decision or action. Specific policy and areas include the following:
- Students/Parents -Board Policy FNG(LOCAL)
- Employee -Board Policy DGBA(LOCAL); or,
- Community Member -Board Policy GF(LOCAL).
*During the formal complaint process, a complainant will not be permitted to speak about this subject/complaint in public comment.