ESSER III Return to In-Person Instruction & Continuity of Services Plan:
COVID-19 Protocol Update - July 31, 2023
In collaboration with the Ellis County Medical Community, the Department of State Health Services and under the requirements of the Texas Education Agency, the following COVID mitigation efforts will be maintained through the 2023-24 school year.
2023-24 Covid-19 Guidance for Schools
Readmission Criteria for COVID-19
|CONFIRMED POSITIVE COVID-19 TEST
|SYMPTOMATIC WITHOUT A POSITIVE COVID-19 DIAGNOSIS OR AWAITING RESULTS
Students and Staff:
● Fever-free for at least 24 hours without fever-reducing medication
● 5 days since onset of symptoms or test date if no symptoms present
● An improvement in symptoms Once all of the return criteria are met, students and staff may return to campus.
Students and Staff:
● Negative COVID-19 test OR
● Alternative diagnosis from a US Physician(example: cold, allergies, etc) OR
● The individual will remain out for the 5 day quarantine period. *The specific requirements for students and staff are regulated by the CDC, Department of State Health Services and the Texas Education Agency
● Close Contacts (Students & Staff): Quarantine not required. If symptomatic, see above guidance for readmission criteria.
● Masks: Per GA-38, school systems cannot require students or staff to wear a mask.
● Required actions test-confirmed cases have been in school: Positive cases of COVID-19 staff and students submitted to Texas DSHS, per TEA
● Positive Case Notification: Dashboard updated at 5 pm each school day students are present. COVID notification message letters emailed out to families and staff each school day at 5 pm. Notifications are sent via grade in elementary and middle school campuses, and campus specific for high school buildings per TEA Public Health Guidance.
● K-12 COVID-19 Testing Program: This is an opt-in program. School systems cannot mandate the use of COVID-19 tests on their staff or students.
● Vaccination clinics are not recommended to be held at a MISD Campus at this time due to the wide availability of COVID Vaccine sites in Ellis County. Free COVID home test kits are available through the United States Postal Service.
● Staff: Per local health guidance, staff are encouraged to not come to school if feeling ill and encouraged to test for COVID-19 if symptomatic. Confirmed positive COVID-19 staff member cases will be reported to District Lead Nurse, Wendy Hein.